CEPCOM believes that the earth is our common home – there are no national boundaries. In this sense, every human right is a universal right. For this reason we have started and are currently operating quality primary and secondary education projects in Buikwe and Jinja districts of Eastern Uganda, to ensure that the most vulnerable children and youth develop, stay in school and learn. A pilot project through Jireh Comprehensive Primary and Secondary Schools has achieved academic excellence, besides ensuring protection and positive relationships with peers, family and community members.
The innovative Peace Bridges for Harmony and Coexistence, implemented in Jinja, Buikwe and Kampala since 2008, and planned for replication in Adjumani, Isingiro and Kiryandongo from 2016, is designed to address inadequate socioeconomic and human development that has often led to conflict situations among communities. This is because for communities to integrate well and work together, their psycho-social needs and causes of trauma, hopelessness and desperation need be addressed, since such needs threaten peaceful coexistence and stability.
The Peace Bridges Project strengthens local community and civil society capacities for peace and social integration, and works to mitigate conflict in communities, improve harmonious relationship, co-existence and social networks through:
- Empowering children and youth to be peace builders and agents of positive change
- Promoting effective participation in peace and reconciliation activities; and
- Promoting levels of economic security among women and youths with in operating communities.
This pilot project has had already significant results, such as:
- Children enjoying positive relationships with peers, family and community members, making good judgment, protecting themselves, managing emotions and freely communicating ideas;
- Having reduced incidences of intolerance between refugee and host communities
- Improved levels of socioeconomic security among women and youths for better livelihood, coexistence and integration.
- Enhanced local community capacity towards effective conflict mitigation, monitoring and peaceful coexistence in refugee hosting zones in Kampala.
Vision: Empowered society integration for harmonious coexistence